Thursday, February 26, 2009

Divine Mercy

Here's a confession that I'm a little embarrassed to make: I don't really like praying the rosary.

But I have recently fallen in love with the Divine Mercy Chaplet. It's so easy for me to fall into the rhythm of the prayer and to really pray it, submersing myself in its words. I love offering it up for my children, husband, friends, family, the people on the street, etc. If there's one thing we all need, it's God's mercy. And if there's one way we can get it, it's by asking for it while we offer Him the perfect sacrifice of Christ.

Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

This new appreciation has come about because I finally decided that I needed to fix my spiritual life before everything else could be fixed (my frustrations in motherhood, worry over a new pregnancy...). The Chaplet is easy to pray and I realized that in my moments of losing it what I needed was God's mercy and help. When Lydia's pushing me to the edge I can come back a few feet just by stepping aside and praying, "For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

The Chaplet, along with starting spiritual direction, has been incredibly helpful in restoring some peace and rest in my life, which has greatly increased my appreciation of all things, most especially my daughter.

4 comments:

Mia Jude said...

I am so in love with this prayer. Thanks for the post..I think I really need to start praying it more. I am SO in need of His mercy...

Veronica said...

i started i a while back, but i need to use it on a more daily basis. thank you.

Jackie said...

I also love the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I think I struggle with saying the rosary as well. I find the times when I enjoy it the most is at church after or before Mass with a group of people. Father Corapi has some really good commentary's about when we struggle with the rosary.

Anonymous said...

I have always struggled with the Rosary as well. But it is a worthy struggle, you know? But I hear you about the Chaplet. FABULOUS! Straight out of the Eastern Catholic Liturgy!