Friday, October 21, 2011

7 quick takes

1. Happy listening!


2.  The song I was going to use this week was Wir Sind Heldon's Gekommen um zu bleiben but I wasn't able to embed the video.  If you are in the mood for some good German pop music, click on the link.  It's a cute video, too.  Oh, and I have no idea what the song is about, but give me credit for knowing that "wir sind heldon" means "we are heroes."

3.  My latest post at Virtuous Planet is about things I'd tell myself if I could go back to when I was engaged.    A quote:  Travis thinks it’s hilarious to catch crickets and put them on floating pieces of toilet paper so they’re waiting for you when you need to go to the bathroom. Watch out.
Go read the post and leave a comment sharing what you would tell yourself - or me! - if you could go back in time.

4.  Another post at VP had this line in it:  My only concern was how to hold on to my opinion of the war and still be a good Catholic.  That floored me and made me wonder how often I do the same thing.  I'm a pretty proud, stubborn person and so I hate being wrong.  I'm sure there's all kinds of situations where I find a loophole or excuse so I can maintain my views and still consider myself a good person, Catholic, leader, mom, wife, whatever.  If you want to read the whole post, go here.

5.  In other news:  James has taken his first steps!  13 months old and the little boy is on his way to walking!  He has also started waving.  I know that most babies do that much earlier but I'm the kind of mom who is unaware of milestones so when I was asked at his 12 month check ups if he could wave I thought to myself, "I guess I should work on that with him."  Oops!

6.  I've been grumpy lately.  We could even say bitchy.  Travis and my friend Tonya would both nod their head in agreement.  So would my kids.  Not that they know what "bitchy" means, but Lydia keeps yelling at me that I need to 'get happy!'  Maybe if we all slept through the night and didn't wake up until 9am I could work on it.

7.  In a nearby town there is an old mental institution; supposedly it is haunted and super creepy.  They are having a haunted house there through the end of the month.  None of this would bother me except that a relative of mine lived there for awhile, back in the day when nursing homes were only for the very rich and she need constant care.  I can't tell if I'm over-reacting, but I don't like people going there, trying to find a ghost.  Sad things happened there and, from what I've read, people's dignity wasn't always respected.  I'm sure there are some not holy things going on there though I don't believe my relative is haunting the place.  But I'm still disapproving of people trying to get a cheap thrill at the expense of the people who lived there.

What do you think?  Am I over-reacting?

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Um....the 'bitch' factor has been over at this house this week too...seriously.

Also, yay for James! I wish there was a day someday soon where I could finally meet your kids. *sigh*

I guess we'll just have to keep in touch over cyberspace. Praying for you all!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Go James!

Not over-reacting.

Going to read your post....now :)

Katie@NFP and Me said...

Yay for James! That's great!! Also, I don't think you're overreacting to the 'haunted house' situation. Now if you went and Fred Phelps-ed it outside the place, that may be a different story. :)

Sarah Hedman said...

yay, james!!! Wow! You have three walkers now! About the mental institution - my sister and I were just talking about this. There is documented paranormal activity there!! WHY are people wanting to go take part in that?? I think people who are not raised with a basic knowledge of the supernatural don't realize just what a dangerous guy the Devil is. I agree it's disrespectful to the facility and any families who had loved ones there for any reason. But it's also just plain crazy that people want to go there and experience anything demonic. What are they thinking??? I hate that our culture has made that kind of thing into a kind of entertainment (books and movies centered around dark magic and vampires and such). It is dangerous REAL stuff (well, not vampires but you know what i mean) and we should stay AWAY. ALL that to say - No, you're not overreacting. ;)

Alicia said...

You're not over-reacting. I have always been fascinated with old hospitals and reeeeeally wanted to go to this haunted house. However, I didn't realize it was an actual haunted house with staged rooms...guess I thought it was more like the show "Ghost Hunters" and was touring for a sign of paranormal activity. I was really disappointed that the sponsors of the haunted house messed with everything.

On the plus side, there is an article on today's pjstar.com about a mortuary science major working to restore the graves in the hospital's cemetary- she wanted to make sure those who passed still had some dignity. Just thought I'd share that with you. :)