Monday, November 29, 2010

being a fat mom and the pope's comment on condoms

Simcha Fisher has a wonderful post on these two things, and how they're related, right here.

Here's a couple of snippets to wet your appetite:

My husband thinks I’m beautiful, but I don’t.  I hate wearing special sizes with labels like “Curvy Coordinates!”  “Luscious Lady Plus!”  “Gee, Your Ass Looks Enormous!”  Being fat feels bad, but knowing I’m still gaining feels horrible. The real misery is in feeling like I had no control.
...
conversion is incremental.  That’s how it is, whether it’s for me getting back into normal-sized pants, or for more dire lessons of the soul.  For the hypothetical male prostitute, the goal would be to renounce fornication and seek healing for his disordered sexual appetites.  But can he do that in a day?  Of course not.  You can’t just strip away every aspect of your old life in a single motion, and expect to live that way from now on.

1 comment:

Kayla @ Petersons On The Go said...

Thanks for posting that link!
I am so glad that the Pope talked the way that he did. I'm grateful that the author asked him the right question. I think this issue (not necessarily condom usage, but of changing our lives in any way) hasn't necessarily been addressed in all the ways it could be, and I think this is a message that we need to hear. Maybe even we have been craving. I always feel so bad when I notice something sinful in my life and then try and fail over and over to change it. Go big or go home, right? Not really. I feel like this is such a light. I can't wait to read the full book, and stew over his words and over the Scriptures with his thoughts in my mind.
Yay Pope!!