Tuesday, September 28, 2010

an apostle for the Lord

Our friend, Jenny, told us early on that James is an apostle of the Lord. 

Several friends have told me that James is allowing them to serve and love.

Tonight there was a church filled with people, many of them children, all praying for a miracle for my son.  Little children, whose names and parents I barely know if I know at all, asking Jesus to heal Baby James.  They drew pictures and wrote notes and prayers, encouraging us. 
The mother of a childhood friend was there - I was amazed to see her and so, so honored that she came.
Distant relatives were there.
Friends of my mom's.
Close friends, old friends, moms I sorta know - they all came and prayed for my son.

People drop off meals, groceries, toilet paper, cards.
Every day in the mail we get cards with kind words and prayers. 
People I haven't spoken to in ten years are reaching out to us.
Atheists are asking their Christian friends to pray for James.
Someone came during the day today and mowed our lawn.
Someone took up our sidewalk chalk and wrote "Praying for James" amidst Lydia's pictures.

My friend reminded me recently of a song we used to sing.  One line says, "We are one Body, the Body of Christ, and we do not stand alone."

My little apostle, with his feeding tube, his tremors, his brain damage, my little apostle has been the vehicle through which that lyric became more than a cutsie warm fuzzy.  James' 12 days of life have shown us that we do not stand alone, that we are part of this huge, caring community.  He has shown us that people want to believe, that they want to give of themselves, they want to put others first, they want to pray, they want to teach their kids to pray, they want to hope.

I think James has made parents thank God for their healthy children.  I think James has made some people pray more than they ever have before.  I think James has shown people that God is still in our midst, still working in our lives.  I think James has made people's jaws drop and heads shake in disbelief as they hear of the miracles that have already happened in his life.  I think my little apostle has predisposed people to God and allowed them to open themselves up to His grace.

I will never be able to express how grateful I am to you and to the Lord.  As hard as this is and has been, it is surely an honor to be here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful heartbreaking post, Bonnie. We are in constant prayer for James and your family. Love from AZ!

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes. I'm glad that in the midst of this trial you are experiencing the blessing in it as well. Praying for you.

Sarah Hedman said...

I wrote a little note for James' binder tonight at the holy hour and feebly attempted to communicate what you gave so eloquently written here. God's glory and work has been made known so much in such a short time through your son's precious life. What a miracle. I continue to be so moved by your story and your faith and your journey. I can't wait to see what God is yet to do.
Sarah Hedman

Anonymous said...

This was truly inspiring to read. I got up early today...not really purposely, but I picked up some devotional reading for the morning. I wanted to see if you posted, and reading this was a wonderful way to start the day. I'm glad the service went so well...wish I could have been there.

Love, Em

Anonymous said...

Bonnie,

Every time I read the updates it makes me cry. It is so beautiful how many people are praying for you and offering tokens of love and support for you and little James. I wish I could be down there with you to give you a huge hug. Know that I am praying for you. I have told so many people to pray for you. I know that whatever the outcome of this will be you are going to be supported by many people. I love you!

Ashley

Rosie said...

Your story really makes it clear that God must exist...not that we should ever have to doubt, of course, but from what you are describing, He is really working big-time in your life, as well as the lives of others. Even though we haven't seen each other in years and have only spoken through Facebook, I still feel connected to the people at Newman in a way, including you. I still feel like you guys are my friends and that we are still there for each other through prayer. I hope you know that I am praying for you, your beautiful children (all four of them), and your entire family. I wish I could do more, but the good thing about prayers is that they multiply, and sweet James sure is getting a lot of them right now!