Monday, May 3, 2010

To Lydia, on her second birthday

My dear Sweetie Pie,

Happy Birthday!  I hope you loved your cake and party, and most importantly I hope you felt loved.

You have a special place in my heart.  I delight in you.  I love you more than I could ever express and sometimes it makes me sad that I cannot show you the fullness of my love for you. 

You bring me great joy.

May you continue to grow in the ways of the Lord.  May He bless you with health and a happy family.  May you always seek God first.  I pray for your future and your vocation.  I pray for the preservation of your innocence and that you will always know your great value and the immense love your father and I have for you. 

You are so precious in our eyes.  You are a blessing in our lives and we are so grateful to have you.

All my love,
Mommy

PS - Here's some things I want you to know about yourself:

You are kind and empathetic.  In a concerned tone you ask me, "What's the matter, Mommy?" when I seem sad or frustrated.  If your baby brother cries you also become upset and urge me to tend to him.

You are funny and cute.  In fact, just the other night while Daddy was snuggling with you before bed you made a sign with your arms, looked up at him and asked, "Am I funny?"  "No," he said.  "Am I cute?" you asked with the sweetest, cutest tone in your voice and smile on your face.  How could he not laugh?

You are smart.  You can sing the alphabet song and identify all the letters.  You can count to ten.  You know all your animals, colors and shapes, and you can even "read" several books.  In fact, you love to read to yourself, telling the story based on the pictures.  You speak in sentences, some of them impressively long for a 2 year old.

You have an interest in God.  Every night you pray your special prayer, "Watch over me, Jesus.  Amen."  You do the Sign of the Cross.  You genuflect towards the Tabernacle and sometimes even say "hello" and "good-bye" while doing so.  When you look at pictures of Christ you frown a little and say, "Jesus got hurt," with much compassion.  You love St. Nicholas.  You think any woman dressed a certain way is Mary.  You ask to pray, pray on your own, and kiss the crucifix on our rosaries without being prompted.

Some of the things you love right now:
- playing outside
- bubbles
- being around other kids
- Super Why!
- Sid the Science Kid
- JJ Heller's song "Your Hands" (which I've heard you singing around the house)
- Jay Sean's song "Down"
- Baby Einstein
- Yo Gabba Gabba (especially the music and dances)
- playing with your baby doll
- playing hide -n- go seek and peek-a-boo
- cottage cheese
- meat
- apples
- the "No David" books
- all books!
- building towers with your blocks
- taking a bath / shower
- folding up your own dirty diaper (which you do really well)
- riding your bike
- putting on make-up with Mommy

No comments: