Thursday, January 21, 2010

I've noticed something at the gym's day care.  When I pick Lydia up, or check out the monitor, my daughter is usually playing by herself or pacing, trying to find someone to interact with her.  She doesn't seem lonely, but it breaks my heart to see her smile at a kid who then turns his back to her or walks away.

I want to take the snobby little 3 year old by the shoulders and say, "This is my daughter!  She is adorable and amazing and she wants to be your friend!  Don't you know how lucky that makes you?!"

I'm sure that a large part of this situation has to do with the age of Lydia and the other kids at the day care and their ability to play.  But it still makes me want to cry, even with logic and science on their side.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Ah, that would break my heart too... I was talking to my sister about this very same thing yesterday. Her daughter wants to share and play...and some of the other kids at the park are really nasty to her! Thank goodness you have such a sweetheart on your hands...who probably has such a strong spirit that it doesn't bother her in the least right now ;^)