Thursday, September 11, 2008

I was sitting in my art history class when I first heard about the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. All other classes were cancelled for the day and as I drove from my college to my parents' home I remember listening to the radio, which was not yet being edited or censored. I could hear every "Oh God," every scream, and I remember the announcer telling, with such fear, despair and horror, about the people he saw jumping from the windows. There was fear and confusion and sorrow in every voice. I sobbed, terrified about what it all would mean and how many would be dead before the day was over. I remember it was a gorgeous day here in Central IL. The sky was so blue and the grass still so green. It is one of the most vivid memories I have.

At the time I had no idea how much more terrifying the whole day would have been if I had children. But now that Lydia the thought of it all is much more intense.




Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
And may the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle and be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

No comments: