Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Thus begins the forty days

Tomorrow is the first day of Lent, the forty days of fasting and prayer as we turn back to God.
"Return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, and weeping and mourning," Joel 2:12.


Over the years the sacrifices I've made for Lent have grown a little: chocolate or ice cream when I was younger, alcohol when I was in college (I didn't drink a lot but enough that I dreamt of Bailey's Irish Cream I missed it so much), and then I came to the point where it was not just fasting from food but also the television or radio. Then I began adding things to my day, such as a rosary or the Liturgy of the Hours.

Fortunately, a local parish is hosting Stations of the Cross every Friday followed by several hours of Adoration. Travis and I are committing to doing this together. Additionally I have a couple of things that I would like to permanantly give up and let go of so I will be working on that this Lent. Though they're pretty big for me so keep me in your prayers, please.


I came across two interesting posts on Lent and fasting today and wanted to share them both.

The first is from a Maronite Catholic. He has some great, great, great things to share about fasting, including the much more "dedicated" way of the Maronites. Check him out here.

The other is a list of ideas of what to give up for Lent. Some of which will be tucked away for future use, I think. Go here for those.

No comments: