Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Gaudete Sunday

The Third Sunday of Advent is called Gaudete Sunday (gaudete means "rejoice"). During the otherwise penitential season of Advent we rejoice that the Savior is coming. Our soul finally feels its worth after long pining in sin and error. We feel that thrill of hope and out of our gratefulness we rejoice, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

We started Gaudete Sunday with Mass and then brunch and cookie baking at my parents' home with my brothers and the women in their lives.
Next was a trip to the tree farm / country market where my dashing husband cut down our tree.
We decorated the tree and then cleaned the house (I don't know why - I just had to have it clean) while listening to the Christmas records of my youth.
Every year my Grandma F would give us all a keepsake ornament so we have tons of great decorations for our tree. Some are quite beautiful and some are just cute and fun. But my all time favorite is the one below, a mini book of A Christmas Carol. My Great Grandpa W gave it to me when I was in middle school, the year he bought an ornament for all of his grandkids and great-grandkids. (I have 33 first cousins - I have no idea how many ornaments that would have been total but I remember he saying how he bought out two stores.)

No comments: